Document Type : Research Paper
- Hossein Moradi Beidokhti 1, 2
- Valiollah Babaeizad 2
- Heshmatollah Rahimian 2
- Mohammad Ali Tajick Ghanbary 2
- Ali Pakdin-Parizi 3
1 Higher Education Complex of Saravan, Saravan, Iran
2 Department of Plant Protection, Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources University, Sari, Iran
3 Genetics and Agricultural biotechnology Institute of Tabarestan, Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources University, Mazandaran, Iran
Citrus bacterial blast disease is one of the prevalent diseases in most citrus-growing regions in the world. Plants use a wide range of mechanisms to defend against pathogens, and the plant-pathogen interaction induces the expression of genes involved in the plant resistance. Furthermore, symbiotic association between plant and mycorrhizal fungi could effectively promote growth and protect the plant against adverse environmental conditions. In the present study, Serendipita indica-root colonized sour orange seedlings were infected by Pseudomonas viridiflava and the expression patterns of PR1, PR2, PR3, PR4, PR5, PAL, POX, and LOX genes in the early stages of citrus blast disease were investigated using the qRT-PCR at different sampling times. According to the results, the response of defense genes to bacterial infection was time dependent. In the S. indica-colonized sour orange plants, the highest level of PR1, PR4, PAL, POX, PR3, and PR5 genes expression was observed at 48 h after infection, but the expression of PR2 and LOX genes was increased at 72 h after infection compared to the control plants. It seems that S. indica can induce systemic effects and prepare the host plant to increase the expression of defense genes more rapidly once it receives a signal for the presence of the pathogen.
- Abdelaziz, M., Abdelsattar, M., Abdeldaym, E., Atia, M., Mahmoud, A., Saad, M., Hirt, H. 2019. Piriformospora indica alters Na+/K+ homeostasis, antioxidant enzymes and LeNHX1 expression of greenhouse tomato grown under salt stress. Sci. Hortic., 256, 108532.
- Adabi, M., Khodaiegan, P., Beiki, F., Saberi, R. 2015. Evaluation of the possibility of controlling citrus blast disease using angelica seed extract and rorest yeasts, biological control of pests and plant diseases 4 (2): 109-119.
- Ahangar, L., Babaiezade, V., Ranjbar, Gh., Najafi, H., Biabani, A. 2016, Expression profile of defense-related genes in susceptible and resistant wheat cultivars in response to powdery mildew infection, New Genetics, No1.
- Ansari, M.W., Trivedi, D.K., Sahoo, R.K., Gill, S.S. and Tuteja, N. 2013. A critical review on fungi mediated plant responses with special emphasis to Piriformospora indica on improved production and protection of crops. Plant Physiol. Biochem., 70: 403-410.
- Bagal UR, Leebens-Mack JH, Walter Lorenz W, Dean JFD. 2012. The phenylalanine ammonia lyase (PAL) gene family shows a gymnosperm-specific lineage. Bio Med Central Genomi 13: S3- S1.
- Bowles DJ.1990. Defense-related proteins in higher plants. Annu Rev Biochem.;59:873-907.
- Brogue K, Chet I, Holliday M, Cressman R, Biddle P, Knowlton S, Mauvais CJ, Broglie R. 1991. transgenic plants with enhanced resistance to the fungal pathogen Rhizoctonia solani. Science 254:1194-1197.
- Chen Z, Zheng Z, Huang J, Lai Z, Fan B. 2009. Biosynthesis of salicylic acid in plants. Plant Signaling and Behavior 4:493-496.
- Chittoor JM, Leach JE and White FF. 1999. Induction of peroxidase during defense against pathogens. In: Datta SK and Muthukrishnan S (eds) Pathogenesis-Related Proteins in Plants. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 171-193.
- Deshmukh, S. D. and Kogel, K. H. 2007. Piriformospora indica protects barley from root rot caused by Fusarium graminearum. Journal of Plant Disease Protection 114: 263-268.
- Dixon RA, Harrison MJ, Lamb CJ. 1994. Early events in the activation of plant defenses. Annual Review of Phytopatholgy, 32:479-510.
- Fitzgerald HA, Chern MS, Navarre R, Ronald PC. 2004. Overexpression of (At) NPR1 in rice leads to a BTH-and environment-induced lesion-mimic/cell death phenotype. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17:140-151.
- Fritig B, Heitz T, Legrand M. 1998. Antimicrobial proteins in induced plant defense. Current Opinion in Immunology 10:16-22.
- Guevara-Morato, M., de Lacoba, M. G., Garcia-Luque, I., and Serra, M. T. 2010. Characterization of a pathogenesis-related protein 4 (PR-4) induced in Capsicum chinense L-3 plants with dual RNase and DNase activities. Exp. Bot. 61, 3259–3271.
- Hajipour, A., Sohani, M., Babaeizad, V., & Hasani-Kumleh, H. 2015. The symbiotic effect of Piriformospora indica on induced resistance against bakanae disease in rice (Oryza sativa). Journal of Plant Molecular Breeding 3(2): 11-19.
- Harrach, D. B., Helmut, B., Balázs, B., József, F. and Kogel, K. H. 2013. The mutualistic fungus Piriformospora indica protects barley roots from a loss of antioxidant capacity caused by the necrotrophic pathogen Fusarium culmorum. Molecular-Plant Microbe Interactions 26 (5): 599-605.
- Heidarinezhad, A., Babaiezad, V., Rahimian, H. 2016. Study of the role of PR2 and PAL genes in resistance of rice plant to Acidovorax avenae avenae bacterium, Journal of Agricultural Biotechnology, No. 4.
- Hernández I, Portieles R, Chacón O and Borrás-Hidalgo O. 2005. Proteins and peptides for the control of phytopathogenic fungi. Biotecnologia Aplicada 22: 256- 260.
- Hoegen E, Strömberg A, Pihlgren U, Kombrink E. 2002. Primary structure and tissuespecific expression of the pathogenesis-related protein PR-1b in potato. Molecular Plant pathology 3: 329-345.
- Iorio, R. A., Del Duca, S., Calamelli, E., Pula, C., Lodolini, M., Scamardella, F and Ricci, G. 2013. Citrus allergy from pollen to clinical symptoms. PLoS One, 8(1), e53680.
- Jones JD, Dangl JL. 2006. The plant immune system. Nature. 444: 323–329.
- Jwa N S, Agrawal GK, Tamogami S, Yonekura M, Han O, Iwahashi H and Rakwal R. 2006. Role of defense/stressrelated marker genes, proteins and secondary metabolites in defining rice self-defense mechanisms. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 44:261-273.
- Kang TS, and Wang L. 2010. Converting an injectable protein therapeutic into an oral form: phenylalanine amm onia lyase for phenylketonuria. Molecular and Genetic Metabolism, 99:4-9.
- Khaksari, M., Babaiezad, V., Rahimian, H., Beigi, F. 2018. Expression profile of some resistance genes in three citrus genotypes in challenging with Pseudomonas syringae syringae the causal agent of blast disease, New genetics, No3.
- Kitajima S, Sato F. 1999. Plant pathogenesis-related proteins: Molecular mechanisms of gene expression and protein function. Journal of Biochemistry 125: 1-8.
- Kumari, R., H. Kishan, Y. K. Bhoon & A. Varma, 2003. Colonization of cruciferous plants by Piriformospopra indica. Current Science, 85: 1672-1674.
- Livak, K. J., and Schmittgen, T. D. 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCTmethods, 25(4): 402-408.
- Moralejo FJ, Cardoza RE, Gutierrez S, Martin JF. 1999. Thaumatin production in Aspergillus awamori by use of expression cassettes with strong fungal promoters and high gene dosage. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65: 1168–1174.
- Mousavi, H., Babaeizad, V., Sharif Nabi, B., Tajik Ghanbari, M., Masah, A., and Alavi, M. 2014. Induction of blast disease resistance in rice plants by endophyte fungus Piriformospora indica, 50(3): 267-255.
- Murashige, T., & Skoog, F. 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bio assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia plantarum, 15(3), 473-497.
- Murry, M. and Thompson, W. F. 1984. Rapid isolation of high molecular weight plant DNA. Nucleic Acid Research, 8: 4321-4325.
- Neuhaus JM, Fritig B, Linhorst HJM, Meins F, Jr, Mikkelsen JD, Ryals J. 1996. A revised nomenclature for chitinase genes.Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. 14:102–104.
- Rai, M. and A. Varma, 2005. Arbuscular m ycorrhiza-like biotechnological potential of Pirifor mospora indica, which promotes the growth of Adhatoda vasica. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, 8: 107-111.
- Rai, M., D. Achaya, A. Singh & A. Varma, 2001. Positive g rowth respo nses of the medicinal plants Spilanthes calva and Withania somnifera to inoculation by Piriformospora indica in a field trial. 2001. Mycorrhiza, 11: 123-128.
- Rauscher M, Adam AL, Wirtz S, Guggenheim R, Mendgen K, Deising HB. 1999. PR-1 protein inhibits the differentiation of rust infection hyphae in leaves of acquired resistant broad bean. Plant Journal 19: 625-633.
- Ritter H, Schulz GE. 2004. Structural basis for the entrance into the phenylpropanoid metabolism catalyzed by Phenylalanine Ammonia-Lyase. Plant Cell 16:3426- 3436.
- Ryals JA, Neuenschwander UH, Willits MG, Molina A, Steiner HY, Hunt MD. 1996. Systemic acquired resistance. Plant Cell 8:1809-1819.
- Sareena S, Poovannan K, Kumar KK, Raja JAJ, Samiyappan R, Sudhakar D, Balasubramanian P. 2006. Biochemical responses in transgenic rice plants expressing a defense gene deployed against the sheath blight pathogen, Rhizoctonia solani Current Science 91:1529- 1532.
- Schultheiss H, Dechert C, Kogel KH, Hückelhoven R. 2003. Functional analysis of barley RAC/ROP G-protein family members in susceptibility to the powdery mildew fungus. Plant Journal 36: 589-601.
- Sels J, Mathys M, De Coninck BMA, Cammue BPA. 2008. Plant pathogenesis-related (PR) proteins: A focus on PR peptides. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 46: 941-950.
- Sepehri, M., Saleh Rastin, N., Hosseini Salekdeh, Gh., and Khayyam Nekouei, M. 2009. The effect of Piriformospora endophytic fungus on growth and increase resistance of barley Hordeum vulgare to salinity stress, Journal of Rangeland Research, 3(3): 508-518.
- Shams-Bakhsh, M. & Rahimian, H. 1997. Comparative study on agents of citrus blast and bacterial canker of stone fruits in Mazandaran. Iranian Journal of Plant Pathology. 33: 132-143. (In Persian with English summary).
- Sharp JK, Valent B, Albersheim P. 1984. Purification and partial characterization of a βglucan fragment that elicits phytoalexin accumulation in soybean. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 259: 11312-11320.
- Sticher L, Mauch-Mani B, and Me´ traux JP. 1997. Systemic acquired resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology, 35:235-270.
- Stintzi A, Heitz T, Prasad V, Wiedemann-Merdinoglu S, Kauffmann S, Geoffroy P, Legrand M, Fritig B. 1993. Plant ‘pathogenesis-related’ proteins and their role in defense against pathogens. Biochimie, 75: 687-706
- Stotz HU, Thomson JG, Wang Y. 2009. Plant defensins Defense, development and application. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 4: 1010-1012.
- Sudyoung, N., Tokuyama, S., Krajangsang, S., Pringsulaka, O., Yeesin, P., Koto, R., and Sarawaneeyaruk, S. 2020. Plant defense-related gene expression analysis of canker-infected lime seedling. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 432 (1): 012007.
- Torres MA, Jones JD, Dangl JL. 2006. Reactive oxygen species signaling in response to pathogens. Plant Physiol. 141(2):373-8.
- Van Loon L, Rep M. and Pieterse C. 2006. Significance of inducible defense-related proteins in infected plants. Annual Review of Phytopathology, 44:135-162
- Varma, A., Verma, S., Sudha, Sahay, N., Btehorn, B., and Franken, P. 1999. Piriformospora indica, a cultivable plant-growth-promoting root endophyte. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 65:2741-2744.
- Vidhyasekaran P. 2002. Bacterial disease resistance in plants: molecular biology and biotechnological applications: Routledge. 322p.
- Vierheilig H, Coughlan AP, Wyss U, Piché 1998. Ink and vinegar, a simple staining technique for arbuscular-mycorrhizal fungi. Appl Environ Microbiol 64: 5004–5007.
- Vigers AJ, Roberts WK, Selitrennikoff CP. 1991. A new family of plant antifungal proteins. Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions, 4: 315-323.
- Waewthongrak, W., Leelasuphakul, W., and McCollum, G. 2014. Cyclic lipopeptides from Bacillus subtilis ABS–S14 elicit defense-related gene expression in citrus fruit. PloS one, 9(10), e109386.
- Waller, F., Achatz, B., Baltruschat, H., Fodor, J., Becker, K., Fischer, M., Heier, T., Huckelhoven, R., Neumann, C., von Wettstein, D., Franken, P., and Kogel, K. H. 2005. The endophytic fungus Piriformospora indica reprograms barley to salt-stress tolerance, disease resistance, and higher yield. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 102:13386-13391
- Zhu Q, Maher EA, Masoud S, Dixon RA, Lamb CJ. 1994. Enhanced protection against fungal attack by constitutive coexpression of chitinase and glucanase genes in transgenic tobacco. Nature Biotechnology, 12: 807-812.